C H Nadin, Photographer
About this image
Eyre Chapel or the chapel of Saint Martin of Tours is located behind the Nag's Head pub in Newbold village, and is a grade II listed building. It was a Roman Catholic Chapel of Norman origin with 14th century perpendicular windows. The chapel is only 36 by 18 foot. It was granted by James II for Roman Catholic worship and sacked by a protestant mob in 1688. An Extract from Lysons' Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817 (Magna Britannia Vol 5) quotes the following:- 'The great manor of Newbold, described in the Domesday survey as having six berwicks or hamlets, of which Chesterfield was one, was parcel of the ancient demesne of the crown; it afterwards belonged to the abbot and convent of Welbeck, to whom Hugh Wake, in the reign of Henry III, released the quit-rent due to him by inheritance of the Briweres. At the time of the dissolution of monasteries, it was parcel of the possessions of Beauchief-abbey, and appears to have been granted to Sir William West, whose son, Edmund West, Esq., sold it in the year 1570 to Anthony and Gervase Eyre. Thomas Eyre, of Newbold, a zealous royalist, was governor of Welbeck, under the Earl of Newcastle. It is said, that being a captain of a troop, he was three times in one action personally engaged with Cromwell and obliged him to retreat. Highfield, in Newbold, came into the family of Eyre by marriage with the heiress of Miles of that place. It is now the property and residence of Vincent Henry Eyre, Esq. He is proprietor also of a Roman Catholic chapel at Newbold, which has been the burial place of the family.' The Orthodox Community of Saint Cuthbert of Lindisfarne, Chesterfield, now worships at Eyre Chapel.