About this image
Following is a Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835;-HAYFIELD, an independent chapelry, generally included in the parish of Glossop, is four miles S. from Glossop, and about the same distance N. from Chapel-en-le-Frith. It is a populous manufacturing district, having several large cotton spinning factories, and one for woollen goods. The church is a handsome modern edifice, rebuilt by the inhabitants in 1818, and the interior is much admired for its neatness. The living is a perpetual curacy, and the resident freeholders have the privilege of nominating the minister.' The picture seen here carried the sub-title of 'showing the hole in the wall used for pressganging'. (This elusive statement did not have any elaboration, and no hole is obvious, so if anyone local can let us know of its whereabouts, then the details of this can be added to the web-site.). Press ganging usually involved a company of men under an officer detailed to force men into military or naval service.