About this image
Norbury church, dedicated to St Mary and St Barlok, an outstanding building by any reckoning is tucked away out of sight. The fairly small, aisled nave, mostly of the 15th century, has the tower over the middle bay of its south aisle, thus giving the nave an unusually symmetrical side facade when viewed from the churchyard. East of this, and marginally longer though without aisles, is the magnificently lofty 14th century chancel with four large windows each side, all containing mostly 14th and 15th century glass. Together with the great east window this chancel has been described as 'a lantern in stone'. Within the chancel lie the 15th century tombs of the Fitzherbert family. It had been Nicholas Fitzherbert who built the south tower, nave and chapel east of the tower. He died in 1473. The north aisle was added by his son Ralph who died in 1483 and grandson John started work on the south west chapel, which was completed in 1517 after his death. The church contains registers dating from 1686.