About this image
The Crich Stand, standing on the edge of the limestone quarry, 1000ft above sea level, is a landmark for miles. It is a war memorial, built in 1923 and dedicated to the Sherwood Foresters who died in the first world war. This photograph was taken after the addition of the domed top and lantern which now shines at nighttime. There is an annual pilgrimage to the stand by the Sherwood Foresters Regiment on the first Sunday in July.