About this image
Llewellyn Jewitt (1816-1886), a child prodigy, grew up in the family home at Castle Orchard, Duffield where he received his education and learned his trade and by the time he was twenty-one in 1837, had become an accomplished writer, artist, wood engraver, and an acknowledged natural scientist.
Amongst many noteable accomplishments Llewellyn founded the Derby Telegraph, was co-founding editor of `The Reliquary’, Illustrations manager of Punch, and wrote numerous books on a variety of subjects, including the definitive `Ceramic Art of Great Britain’. He was a renowned illustrator and an expert engraver and worked at Buckingham Palace in the presence of Queen Victoria. In addition he was a member of the British Archaeological Association, a Fellow of the Society of Antiquities, and along with Dr. Cox, founded the Derbyshire Archaeological Society in 1878.
In 1880 the family moved to The Hollies, Duffield.
This and more information about Llewellyn Jewitt can be found at www.aboutderbyshire.co.uk