About this image
Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway Station. Opened in 1897. Closed to passengers in 1951 and to freight in 1957.
The engine at the front is one of the recently built, mixed-traffic 'B1' class; the other may be an ex-Great Central Railway 'Director' class? They were designed for express-passenger work.
Taken at the George Stephenson Centenary Commemoration event.
Market Place Station used to be situated in the area south of West Bars, and between where Markham Road (A619) now runs, over what was the Brampton Branch of the line.