About this image
The Church of St Anne is beautifully placed by the river, with stately elms and ancient yews in its churchyard. The tower and spire, together with the nave arcade and doorway date back to the 14th century. The tower supports an unusual clockface with the name Victoria and the date 1897 on it. Built into the porch are the remains of a coffin stone perhaps 700 years old, and there are other curious stone slabs to be found in the churchyard.
The church was much restored by the Duke of Devonshire in 1852-53, with the possible help of Joseph Paxton, the Duke's friend and head gardener. In a glass case by the door is a whip, originally used to drive troublesome dogs out of the church. (Information from www.derbyshireuk.net)