About this image
Normanton Recreation Ground was quite new when this scene was captured, having opened to the public in 1909. Here we are looking south-east with the arts and crafts style pavilion on the left. The clock, manufactured by local firm John Smith & Sons, indicates it is 4.30pm and given how busy things are, the photo was probably taken on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday. In the distance is Normanton village, not yet absorbed into the urban sprawl of Derby and with the spire of St Giles' Church visible.
Now known as Normanton Park and accessed from Kenilworth Avenue, prior to construction of the latter section of Derby's Outer Ringroad in the 1930s, the recreation ground was reached off Stenson Road. There are also northern entrances via Fairfield Road and Chatsworth Street.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt and was numbered 360 in his series.