About this image
Station Street looking east. The wetness of the road (but not the pavement) suggests it has just been cleaned and the vehicle responsible may be the one returning in the distance (magnification suggests it could be a water cart). Just in front of this, but not very obvious, is the level crossing by means of which the Midland Railway's Erewash Valley line negotiated the street; Long Eaton station (which closed in 1967 after which the former Sawley Junction station took its name) is out of view to the left. The presence of the railway is hinted at by the sign on the right advertising the Midland Fruit and Potato Stores, while opposite this (with the tall gable) is the 'Railway Inn', erected in 1905. The street lamp on the right would originally have been gas but has been converted to electricity.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt and is believed to be number 538 in his series. Scarratt's Douglas motorbike can be seen parked by the kerb and is being minded by a small boy - the photographer commonly included members of his family or his mode of personal transport (bicycle, motorbike or car) in his postcard views.