About this image
Joe Watson, newsagent in late 1930s outside the old wooden hut. This wooden hut was erected in late 1800. It was situated in the space adjacent to the old Liberal Club in Lower Lane.
Originally used as a Clog shop, from 1918-19 it was occupied by hairdresser Mr Israel Musslewhite. For Whit week 1919 until 1925 it was the premises of Mr Fred Henshall the renowned local butcher.
From 1925 until approx 1939 it was a newsagent with a variety of proprietors - Eli Robins, George Roberts and Joseph B Watson. In early 1930s, the Daily Sketch, Daily Mail and Daily Express were only 1d each. The Weekly Illustrated 2d, Woodbines 2d a packet for five, Cadburys Milk Flakes 1d, Players cigarettes 111/2d for a packet of twenty. 90% of the local distribution of newspapers was carried on from here until JB Watson transferred the business to 1 Buxton Road. The picture shows Joe Watson in front of the shop.