About this image
The Natural Baths are situated behind the Tourist Information Bureau, to the left of the Crescent. The baths form an integral part of Buxton's history, having been there in some form for at least 2000 years. There is evidence of a large Roman bath discovered by John Carr during construction of the Crescent and this is buried under the south west corner adjacent to the Natural Baths. Spa treatment ceased at the baths in the early 1950's, and from then until 1972 the baths were used as the town's swimming pool, being replaced by the new pool in the Pavilion Gardens. Since that time the baths have been lying empty and neglected. The Buxton Mineral Water Company has covered The Spring and diverted the water to its bottling plant, this can be seen through a glass doorway in the information centre. In 1975 a deposit of Roman votive coins was found over the site of the Spring in the Natural Baths. In 1573 the Earl of Shrewsbury built the first proper accommodation over The Spring (now the site of the Old Hall Hotel) Mary, Queen of Scots, made a number of visits between 1573 and 1584 to 'take the cure' during her captivity.