About this image
St John the Baptist's Church was rebuilt in 1530 by Sir Anthony Babington, Lord of the Manor at the time. He added the narrow west tower with its unusual polygonal stair turret. Two lancet windows, a doorway and altar niche, dating from the 13th century, remain from the original church. In 1866, the battlements were renewed, and later in 1874 the roof was restored after a fire. The beams are thought to be replicas of the original ones. St John's has been the Parish Church since 1899.