About this image
The opening ceremony of The Emporium, 21 September 1935.
The new building provided 40,650 square feet of shopping space, much of it devoted to what the Co-Operative movement terms 'dry goods'. It was opened by Mr Lewis Pattison, the Secretary and General Manager and 200 guests afterwards sat down to tea in the People's Hall. A voucher for 2/- was received by each member.