About this image
The Middle Mill was originally the property of the Lord of the Manor and was successor to one of the Domesday Mills. It was also known as the King's mill. This happened after the seizure of the estates of Robert de Ferrars the Manor of Duffield became the Kings property for four centuries. The copyhold was in the hands of John Balgry of Duffield Park House in 1838. At that time the Miller was W Ligate.
The Mill ceased grinding around 1908 and came into the hands of W Hawley & Son Ltd, which they operated until the mid 1930s. It was closed shortly after the 1939-45 war and demolished about 1961.
There were two other mills in Duffield c 1880, the Lower mill at Duck Island and the Moulbourn Mill which is now the Colour Works.