About this image
The ancient boundary marker of Edale Cross stands at the summit of the old packhorse route, but it has not always stood here; after being erected as a boundary marker by Cistercians of Holywell, Flintshire, who had been granted land in the vicinity, the cross remained upright until time and the Pennine winds flattened it. Here it lay, until Thomas Gee of Ashes Farm, and his companions, arrived with the noble intention of righting the monument. On raising and securing the cross, the men carved their initials and the year - 1810 - on the stone, as a dubious record of their feat. (Latter day vandals and would-be defacers should read the sign by the cross and be aware that when 'TG' and friends undertook their self-styles restoration work, the Ancient Monuments Acts were not in force.) Edale Cross, situated at the junction of the Pennine Way, is thought to mark the land boundary of the Abbey of Basingwerk, near Chester. Once known as Champion Cross it marked the boundary of Campagna, a district of the Royal Forest of the Peak.