This image can be used commercially
Wilford Toll Bridge, The Meadows, Nottingham, c 1975
Courtesy of George Rowland
About this image
Wilford Toll Bridge over the River Trent showing the structure in its original form and looking south-west from the Victoria Embankment with the river in flood. The bridge replaced a ferry and following the provision of a temporary wooden footbridge in 1864, it opened for road traffic on 16 June 1870. Funded by Sir Robert Juckes-Clifton, 9th Baronet (his statue is seen here in the foreground), to facilitate the movement of coal from the nearby Clifton Colliery into Nottingham, the main iron spans were manufactured by the well-known bridge-building firm of Andrew Handyside and Company, Derby. The bridge remained privately owned until 1969 when it was purchased by Nottingham City Council but was closed to vehicles five years later because of its poor condition. In 1980 the main spans were replaced and narrowed to just take a footpath and cycleway but in 2013 they were re-widened and strengthened to accommodate the Phase 2 Clifton Extension of the Nottingham Express Transit system.
The bridge was owned by the Clifton family until Nottingham City Council took over in 1969. The piers have the Clifton arms on the inward facing walls.
The council assessment revealed that bridge was in a poor condition and it was closed to traffic in 1974. The centre span of the bridge was demolished and replaced by a narrower foot bridge, of steel girders with an in-situ reinforced concrete deck slab, in 1980. The bridge was then used as a footpath and cycleway, with a gas main and cable services under the deck.
The bridge is being enlarged to carry Phase 2 of the Nottingham Express Transit system. This will involve widening the central portion from 5.65 metres to 12.2m and strengthening to allow a two-way tram system, and a replacement for the existing pedestrian and cycle paths.
Showing a statue of Robert Juckes Clifton.
Taken in the Nottingham Meadows area prior to clearance.