This image can be used commercially
Dobsons Mill House and Coach House and Stables, Sutton-in-Ashfield, 1999
Donated by J Bather
About this image
The first Cotton Mill was built in Sutton by the Unwin Family c1770. It originally worked using Oxen and Horses to turn the machines, but was later water powered, and then steam powered. It changed hands in 1851, and became a Silk Mill, before being heavily damaged by fire in 1875. After some years of standing empty, the factory re-opened and continued in use until the early 1970's, when it was again ravaged by fire.
The house was originally built for William Unwin.