This image can be used commercially
Barlow Hunt in front of the Angel Inn, Holmesfield, 1930s/1940s ?
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Press Photographer, 973 Abbeydale Road, Sheffield)
About this image
The Barlow Hunt (or the Barlow Hounds, as this photo was originally captioned) outside the Angel Inn at Holmesfield. The date is uncertain but the car on the left (CWA 111) was registered by Sheffield County Borough Council in 1936 or slightly later.
The sign on the Angel Inn reveals the licensee to be Frederick G. (George) Pearson and trade directories indicate he was here from at least 1922 to at least 1941. The pub was still thriving (one of four in the village) in 2011, but the building seen here had long since been replaced with a more modern version.
Hunting with hounds at Barlow goes back to at least the end of the 17th century, when dogs were maintained by the local farmers and used to hunt both hares and foxes. Hounds were first kenelled in 1878 and when Major Wilson took over the Mastership it was decided these would only hunt fox, recognition as a pack of foxhounds being made by the Masters of Foxhounds Association in 1907.