This image can be used commercially
Local passenger train near Tapton Junction, Chesterfield, 1964
Roger Barnes ARPS
About this image
Ex-LMS 'Jubilee' Class 4-6-0 No 45593 Kolhapur approaching Chesterfield Midland station from Tapton Junction (just visible in the distance) with a four-coach train. The photographer is looking north from a footbridge off Brimington Road.
Built in 1934 by the North British Locomotive Co of Glasgow, 45593 was named after a state in western India. Following withdrawal from service in 1967, it was purchased for preservation by the Standard Gauge Steam Trust and housed at what later became Birmingham Railway Museum.
Website contributor John A Thickitt comments: 'The train's headcode, in this case a single oil-lamp positioned below the engine's chimney, shows this to have been a stopping passenger train. The 'Jubilee' class were designed to haul express passenger trains of moderate weight. A load of four carriages would have made an easy journey for both engine and crew.'