This image can be used commercially
Carved Chesterfield Borough seal on former Maternity Home, Royal Hospital, Holywell Street, Chesterf
About this image
This carved seal adorned the front gable of the Maternity Home at the Chesterfield and North Derbyshire Royal Hospital. The Home was constructed in 1921 to the design of architect W Cecil Jackson in a Queen Anne Revival style and occupied a position at the north-west corner of the Royal Hospital site.
The hospital on Holywell Street was vacated in 1989 when facilities were re-located to new premises at Calow, to the east of Chesterfield. While the redundant main building was converted for office use, other structures - including the one-time Maternity Home - were later demolished.
Question from Picture the Past: Does anyone know if the carving of the Chesterfield Borough seal was rescued when the building was demolished?