This image can be used commercially
Holy Trinity Church, Church Street, Ashford in the Water, c 1970s
T W Tyreman
c 1970s - 1980s
Ashford in the water
About this image
Showing Holy Trinity Church in the background. Ashford village became famous in the 19th century through the mining and carving of Ashford marble. The oldest part of the present church is the tower which dates from circa 1205, though there probably was an earlier wooden church on the same site. On the wall above the tower arch is coat of arms dated 1724, in the reign of George 1 - it was restored in 1985. Each year around late May, early June, local people dress six old wells in the village then serve the needs of thousands of visitors in the week of Trinity Sunday, the patronal festival of the church. The wells are blessed following the service in church. Outside the church is a pyramidal set of steps - the base of an old preaching cross. From these steps the preacher addresses the crowds assembled for the well blessings.