About this image
Following is a description of LINTON - Extracted from the National Gazetteer, 1868:- 'LINTON, a township in the parish of Church Gresley, hundred of Repton, county Derby, 5 miles S.E. of Burton-on-Trent, its post town, and 2 S.W. of the Gresley railway station. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The soil is fertile, and the pastures are extremely rich. This place is celebrated for its cheese and fat cattle.'