About this image
The Library, in Alexandra road, was built in 1908 at a cost of £3,000, and contained lending and reference departments and reading rooms. It held about 6,000 volumes. It is seen here decorated for the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary, May 6th 1935. A different library was built in 1960 to replace this old Carnegie Library, which was a victim of mining subsidence.