This image can be used commercially
Toll bar at Sandyway Head, Chapel en le Frith, c 1870
Derbyshire Record Office
About this image
A sketch looking east towards the toll bar at Sandyway Head. This was located on the turnpike from Chapel to Buxton at the point where Blackbrook Lane (leading to Sparrowpit joined). The building with the cart in front is believed to have been a weighbridge. After the turnpike was dissolved, the stone-built bow-fronted toll house remained and in the interwar period was extended. Later known as the Round House, it was still standing in 2011.