This image can be used commercially
Panoramic view looking east, Chapel-en-le-Frith, 1912
Derbyshire Record Office
About this image
This is one (identified as No 4) of three panoramic views taken from the tower of St Thomas a Becket Parish Church. The original caption reads: 'Chapel-en-le-Frith Looking East 1912' and 'Taken from Church Tower. By the late Mr J Waterhouse, Bowden Head'.
The photographer is looking towards the Townend area of Chapel with Market Street (eventually leading into Buxton Road) to the right. The double line of houses running off to the left mark the alignment of Hayfield Road, while rising up the ridge in the right distance is the road to from Sandyway Head to Sparrowpit.
Various industrial premises can be seen: on the right is a wadding mill (with squat chimney) and then (with taller chimney) a dye works, while in the centre distance (with three chimneys) is the Townend iron foundry and engineering works. In-between the latter two (with a spire) is the town's main Methodist (Wesleyan) chapel. Climbing the hillside to the right of this is the self-acting inclined plane that formed part of the route of the Peak Forest Tramroad, an early railway that linked the Peak Forest Canal at Bugsworth (later Buxworth) with the limestone quarries around Dove Holes.
For an overall view of the three images in this group please see DCRO100739 and for the other individual views DCRO100739A (No 3) and DCRO100739C (No 5).