About this image
The library was located in the Manor House. The Manor House was built in the early 18th century (though there was probable one in the village before this). The house has seven bays on its main east front, with stone steps leading up to a Tuscan doorframe and door. The house was occupied by John Rotherham in 1749 and after many generations it passed was passed down to Mrs Rotheram Cecil. Mrs Cecil left the house in 1939, and at the outbreak of the Second World War, it opened as the Public Library and Council Offices. Pictured is Billy Gilbert, the father of the donor, Richard Gilbert.