This image can be used commercially
Form 3B, Ilkeston Secondary School, King George Avenue, Ilkeston, 1922
King George Avenue
About this image
The new Ilkeston County Secondary School (capacity - 250 pupils) was opened on 25 June 1914 by King George V when he visited the town accompanied by Queen Mary. The King pressed a button whilst standing in the Market Place which opened the school gates (a good half mile away and well out of sight), an explosive charge relaying the success of the operation back to the assembled crowds in the town centre. The King did, though, pass by in his car on his way out of the town and had a few words with the Headmaster.
Second from the right in the right row is Wilfred Bush, wearing his Stanton-by-Dale church choir collar.
Wilfred Bush was an inveterate diarist and had a comprehensive collection of photographs and memorabilia. He was born in New Stanton in 1909 and attended Ilkeston County Secondary School between 1920 and 1926. He served as a 'student teacher' at Sandiacre School for a year (1926/27) followed by two years at College. He spent most of his teaching career at Kensington Junior School where, with time out for war service, he taught between 1930 and 1951. In due course he was appointed as the first Head of the newly opened Kirk Hallam Junior School where he remained until his retirement in 1974.