About this image
The Mayor's Parlour was a large Tudor timber-framed building with leaded mullioned windows and five gables. Built c 1483, and in order to fit a slightly curving burgage plot running down to the edge of the River Derwent, was built at right angles to the street. Unfortunately, it is not known who built it, but it was probably a county magnate building a town house, or a residence of a famous mayor. (At the time mayors functioned from the Guildhall, then later The Moot Hall). By 1670 it had been divided, one half became a residence Dr Percival Willoughby (1596-1685) a pioneering Gynaecologist, third son of Sir Willoughby of Wollaton Hall. By the 1850's it had become the property of Alderman Sir Thomas William Evans Bt, of Allestree Hall.
In the early 20th century it reverted to municipal use as the Surveyors Dept and the Town Clerks Office and was also the home of the Derby Corporation Water Dept. which in 1961 became the South Derbyshire Water Board.
The Medieval building was earmarked, along with the shot tower and all streets and houses in the area, for demolition to make way for the development of Corporation street and the new Council House. Despite protests, the house was wantonly and unnecessarily demolished in 1948, it was the largest urban residence of its type in England.
The site is now part of The Sir Peter Hilton memorial garden. See DRBY002027 for the alleyway which gave access to 'The Mayors Parlour' and the 1730's part of the building which fronted onto the street.
There are other images of the exterior and interior of the building on the site and also a couple of photos of the archway (taken in 1983) leading to the rear of the building which was built as The Royal Oak Inn, Tenant Street. To find the 40 currently on the site (as of May 2012) search 'mayor parlour tenant street' in the main search box.