This image cannot be used commercially
St Werburghs Church, Wardwick, Derby, c 1900s
A P Knighton
About this image
The Church is now closed for worship, but a Trust cares for the tower and the old chancel of this large church in the centre of Derby; the rest of the 'new' church, built by Sir Arthur Blomfield in 1895, has been converted for commercial use. The tower was built in the Gothic Survival style between 1601-08. The interesting chancel (of 1690) retains much of its contemporary woodwork and furnishings, including a superb iron font cover by Robert Bakewell in a side chapel. The fine reredos dates to 1708 and was designed by Henry Huss. A further altar mosaic reredos was added in 1898. Dr Johnson - the creator of the English Dictionary - married Elizabeth Porter here in 1735.