This image cannot be used commercially
Duck Lane, Breaston, c 1913 ?
A P Knighton
Scarratt, F W
c 1913 ?
Duck Lane (Risley Lane)
About this image
A postcard by F W Scarratt, Market Hall, Derby (number 1524). View northwards along Duck Lane (later Risley Lane) from beside the Church Room (right). The latter was built in the grounds of Breaston Rectory in the early 1900s by the then Rector in memory of his parents, and to further the work of the church in Breaston. Between 1956 and 1990 it was used as a branch library but later became offices. The bridge over the Derby Canal is visible in the distance.
See DCHQ010179 for a version of this view taken directly from the original glass plate negative. Although this postcard was numbered 1524 in Scarratt's own series (which would date it at around 1931), this appears to have been associated with a re-issue of the card as the scene depicted is clearly much earlier. In all likelihood its original number was 776, in support of which 775 is known to be another view of Duck Lane, taken slightly further south. This in turn would date it to circa 1913. Further evidence is provided by the original title on this card which reads 'Risley Lane'; Duck Lane was still the official name in 1913 but it had been changed by 1937.