This image cannot be used commercially
Red Hill, River Soar, Ratcliffe on Soar, c 1920s ?
A P Knighton
About this image
Looking NE towards Red Hill from W. bank of River Soar, opposite Redhill Lock (off frame to R.). Early 1900s.
This view clearly shows the red keuper marl cliffs which are mixed with gypsum and alabaster. Ratcliffe derives its name from these being formerly Redeclive and later Redecliffe. The hill was mined by Asheton Curzon from 1750 for alabaster. This mine is the source of alabaster for the pillars in the Marble Hall in Kedlestone Hall the scene depicted in the 2008 film 'The Duchess'. The drift mine entrance (now blocked) was in the trees just below the summit. This part of the Soar was the Trent until the Middle Ages, the junction of the two rivers being just behind the artist nearly half a mile south of their current junction at Trent Lock.