About this image
The Anglo-Saxons migrated into this area in the 5th century and the Anglo-Saxon and Danish influences are to be seen all around the Derwent valley. During the 5th and 6th centuries this was part of the Kingdom of Mercia, and Repton, its capital, was served by settlements including Spondon and other small neighbouring hamlets. An old Saxon cross with curious Celtic-style markings can be found in the churchyard, denoting early Christian activity, probably even before the end of the seventh century during which the Mercian Kings accepted Christianity. Originally dedicated to St. Werburgha, a Saxon princess, the Church and its Vicar were traditional Spondon institutions before the 9th century Danish invasions and Christianity was an integral part of its daily living. The present church dates back to around 1390, when it was completed to replace an earlier church destroyed by fire, along with almost the entire village, in 1340. It is a very large church compared with the size of the village as it was in the fourteenth century. The earlier church must have been equally large, because the present one stands on its foundations. The main body of the church, both nave and chancel, along with the 35 metre high tower and spire, date to 1390, although the north wall of the nave had been damaged by subsidence and was rebuilt in 1826. The roof also needed replacing but the church was ruined when a very low-pitched roof was built and the interior fitted with a flat ceiling. In 1895 this ruinous 'restoration' was finally replaced with a roof of the original pitch, the ceiling removed and the new fine vaulted roof structure exposed. Internally, the church has much of note, including some fine stained glass windows of the late Victorian period and the earlier half of the twentieth century. It has a peal of six bells, one of which is 16th century, one 17th and the remaining four of the 19th century. The fine organ dates from 1909, but with an electric action fitted in 1989. Adjacent to the main altar is a recessed sedilia, nearby a priest's sanctus window and there are four piscinas within the church. There is a lady chapel dedicated to St. Mary, which contains a First World War memorial. The royal arms displayed over the north (main) door is almost unique, there being only one other known example. It is dated between 1702 and 1707 because it displays the arms of Queen Ann before the union with Scotland. Externally, the remains of a decorated cross shaft said to date to around 870 and in the nearby former vicarage grounds is what is considered to be a 'holy well' which could be the site of the earliest Christian gatherings, before a timber and thatch church was erected, possibly around the year 750.