This image cannot be used commercially
Push-pull train at Wirksworth station, Wirksworth, c 1906 ?
A P Knighton
c 1906 ?
About this image
A Midland Railway push-pull train comprising a 4-4-0T locomotive borrowed from the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway (in which the MR was a partner) and a former Pullman carriage rebuilt with a driving compartment at the far end. Such an arrangement enabled branch line trains to be worked more cheaply and avoided the need for the locomotive to 'run round' at terminus stations.
Wirksworth was the terminus of a MR branch from Duffield, opened in 1867 and closed to passengers in 1947, although remaining in use for stone traffic until the 1980s. After a long period of dereliction, the line was subsequently revived as a 'community railway' by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway.