About this image
Locko hall was built in the 1720s by Francis Smith of Warwick and has been the ancestral home of the Drury-Lowe family since 1747. A chapel on the site was built in 1669 and prior to that in medieval times a leper hospital occupied the site. The house has strong Italianate features. The oldest part is the chapel which dates from 1669 while the core of the present house was built during the first half of the 18th century. The tower and other italian features represent the taste of William Drury-Lowe who died in 1877. Between 1840 and 1865 he made many visits to Italy and became obsessed with the art and architecture of that country, bringing back to England some 300 important works of art. In the 1850's he commissioned Henry Stevens, a local architect to embellish Locko in the Italian style, many of the additions and alterations being made for the sole purpose of housing the pictures. William Emes was responsible for the park design following a visit in 1792, though the actual work was undertaken by his partner John Webb. The house is not open to the public.