About this image
Thrumpton Hall was built between 1609 and 1616-17 by Gervase Pigot from Weston-on-Trent. The North side was altered in the 18th century with Gothic glazing to the windows and to the loggia, which was probably added at that time. Pigot's son, Gervase Pigot II, made further alterations, including a new staircase which involved rebuilding the west wall. The turreted gatehouse dates from around 1830. This was the home of the 8th Baron Byron through his marriage to the eldest daughter of the rev William Westcomb. The 8th Baron's brother, Frederick, married Lucy's sister, Mary Jane, and their longer son, the Rev Frederick E C Byron inherited Thrumpton and eventually succeeded his elder brother as the 10th Baron Byron.