This image can be used commercially
Bretby Hall, Bretby Park, Bretby, c 1850?
Miss Frances Webb
About this image
The text below the images reads:
"To the most honourable, potent and truly noble George Stanhope sixth Earl of Chesterfield, one of the Lords of the bedchamber to George IV, and Willliam IV. This South West View of Bretby House, is dedicated with gratitude and submission by his lordships most devoted and obliged humble servant Stephen Glover."
Bretby Castle was demolished in the reign of James the 1st when permission was granted for a mansion to be built in a newly enclosed park of 600 acres. Built for the 1st Earl of Chesterfield and home of the Stanhope family in 1630. The ornamental gardens created there by the 2nd Earl of Chesterfield were reputed to have been second only to Versailles (see image DCHQ2000066).
The castellated mansion seen here was redesigned by Wyatville and built in 1813 for the Earl of Chesterfield on the site of his family's 17th century manor house. The house was left unfinished at the Earl's death in 1815. It was purchased by Derbyshire County Council in 1926 and used as an orthopaedic hospital to the end of the 20th century when the hall and grounds were sold to developers of private residences.
One of the owners of the estate was Lord Carnarvon the Egyptologist, who sold the property to finace the famous expedition in search of the tomb of Tutankhamun, the boy king.