This image can be used commercially
Bretby Hall, Bretby Park, Bretby, c 1708
Miss Frances Webb
About this image
The text below the image reads:
"Bredby in Darby Shire, the seat of the Rt Honorable Phillip Stanhope, Earle of Chesterfield and Baron Stanhope of Shelford & c."
The grounds of the park were laid out by the 2nd Earl of Chesterfield around his 17th century manor house. This house was later demolished and an early 19th century mansion was built by the 5th Earl in its place (built in 1777 by the 5th Earl ?). Later, by marriage, the Hall passed into the family of the Earls of Carnarvon.