This image can be used commercially
United Methodist Chapel, Main Street, Breaston, c 1920s ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1920s ?
About this image
The frontage of the United Methodist Chapel looking north with - in typical fashion - a small boy included to add a bit of 'life' to the photograph. The chapel was constructed in 1875 as a replacement for an earlier building of 1803 and belonged originally to the Wesleyan New Connexion. Following amalgamations among the various branches of Methodism, it was a United Methodist chapel from 1907 and then part of the Methodist Church of Great Britain from 1932.
As Breaston Methodist Church it was still operating in 2014, complete with a modernised frontage. The latter had caused the removal of a number of commemorative foundation stones, some of which can be deciphered here, including a 'Memorial Stone' laid by the Reverend John Roxon and two others laid by H Plackett and W Plackett. The latter two gentlemen were the owners of a lace factory on Longmoor Lane in the village.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo but its original number in his series has not been established, although it would have been taken at some date between 1907 and 1932.