This image can be used commercially
St Michael's Church, Breaston, c 1913
Scarratt, F W
c 1913 ?
About this image
St Michael's Church looking south-east from The Green, which even in 1913 was a surfaced square rather than an area of grass at the centre of the village. Main Street runs from right to left in front of the churchyard wall.
The church was originally a chapel of ease to neighbouring Sawley but was elevated to church status early in the 18th century. Much of its fabric is 13th century, including the tower, spire and south aisle but alterations made in the 19th century included moving the main entrance from the south side to the north and constructing a vestry and an organ chamber.
A comparison in 2011, nearly a century after this view was taken, indicated that the scene was still substantially the same, although additions to the church had been made in the form of a north porch (1935) and a lych gate (1950).
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo and it was numbered 774 in his series. See DCHQ501606 for the resulting postcard version of this view.