About this image
Looking north-west from The Spot towards the junction of Babington Lane and St Peter's Street. The statue in the centre is that of Queen Victoria (in bronze by C B Birch and unveiled in 1906) and to the right of this an open-topped Derby Corporation electric tram can be seen descendings towards Victoria Street.
On the extreme left the large pair of spectacles indicate the premises of long-established opticians Lancaster & Thorpe, while the range to the right of these are occupied by E W Grimes who were drapers and remained in business here from 1897 until 1956.
Most of the buildings seen in this view were still standing in 2014 but the statue of Queen Victoria was relocated to the grounds of the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary on London Road in 1925.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard producer F W Scarratt and was allocated the number 744 in his series.