This image can be used commercially
London Road, Derby, c 1920s ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1920s ?
About this image
Looking south-east from close to the junctions with Litchurch Street (left) and Wellington Street (right) with the towering bulk of St Andrew's Church (Derby's 'railway church') in the distance. The double line of tram track took Derby Corporation's electric trams variously to Alvaston, Osmaston Road (via Bateman Street), Normanton, and the Midland station. The latter diverged to the left in the middle distance (down Midland Road) where a white-coated policemsan is on point duty at this busy junction. Beyond this a couple of trams can be seen passing each other in opposite directions.
Of the road vehicles visible, that parked on the left (registration NU 7074) is a Bullnose Morris Cowley that belonged to the photographer, while the unidentified larger car emerging from Litchurch Street carries the registration ND 7263, indicating that it was issued by Manchester County Borough Council between March 1923 and March 1925.
There was no shortage of public houses in this part of the town. On the right is the mock half-timbered Leviathan Inn (closed in 1939) and then on the opposite corner of Litchurch Street the Nottingham Arms, at this date a beer house (it did not become a fully licenced pub until 1950 and much later was renamed The Florence Nightingale). To the right on the near corner of Midland Road (but not particularly obvious here) is The Crown and Cushion.
A comparison made in 2012 showed that the scene depicted around 85 years earlier was still recognisable. The trams had ceased running in 1932 to be replaced firstly by trolley buses and then by motor buses, while the Leviathan Inn was demolished in the 1950s, followed by St Andrew's Church in 1970.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo but it is not known what number he allocated it in his series.