About this image
Looking south-east towards Five Lamps with Bromley Street joining on the left. The sign on the traction pole to the right reads 'Cars Stop Here By Request' but it is difficult to tell whether the distant Derby Corporation electric tramcar is approaching or receding.
As can be seen, the track on the Kedleston Road tramway route was single (with passing loops at intervals); it extended from the Market Place in Derby to a terminus at the borough boundary adjacent to Penny Long Lane (later Broadway). Opened in 1905, closure took place in 1933, trams being replaced initially by motor buses and then, from 1935, by trolley buses.
Turner's corner shop on the left dealt in stationery and confectionery amongst other things and had a small wall-mounted post box attached to its frontage.
The photographer seems to have attracted the interest of quite a few local inhabitants, most of whom are equipped with a surprising variety of wheeled vehicles - bicycles, prams, pushchairs and a basket cart. While many seem to be at least standing still for the photographer, the appearance of the speeding pony and trap may not have been planned and the camera's shutter speed has failed to 'freeze' its movement.
A comparison made around 100 years later in 2012 showed that this scene had changed very little over the intervening years, the main differences being the loss of the tram track, the change of use of the shop to a pharmacy, and the removal of the post box.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo and allocated it the number 425 in his series. See DMAG000907 for the resulting postcard version.