This image can be used commercially
Duck Lane, Breaston, c 1913 ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1913 ?
Duck Lane (Risley Lane)
About this image
Duck Lane (later renamed Risley Lane) looking north with the bridge over the Derby Canal and the Navigation Inn visible in the far distance. The building on the right was the Church Room, while the fence and trees beyond form the frontage to St Michael's Vicarage. It is likely that the boy with the bicycle (it appears not to be the photographer's son Alec who was with him on this particular photographic foray) and the horse he is holding were probably just passing by and were appropriated to add further interest to the photograph!
A comparison made in 2011, almost a century after this view was taken, showed the scene to be still recognisable, although the house on the right had long since been demolished and the Church Room, which was later used as the village library, was by then known as The Old Library and in use as offices.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo but its original number in his series has not been verified. However, it could well be 776, as 775 is known to be another view of Duck Lane, taken slightly further south. See DCER000181 for another version of this view - this gives the serial number as 1524, which suggests that for some reason it was re-issued (and given a new number) by Scarratt circa 1931 (by which time it would have been nearly 20 years out of date).