About this image
Looking north towards Sadler Gate Bridge from the Wardwick with a corner of St Werburgh's Church on the left. The houses to the right of this flank St Werburgh's Churchyard (a narrow path that followed the edge of the churchyard itself), while in the right background is the 15th century tower of All Saints' Church (which would soon become Derby Cathedral).
At this date, judging from the presence of three vehicles and bus timetables affixed to the churchyard railings, Cheapside was in use as a bus terminus. Of the three small single-deck buses, the nearest is registered CH 4157, but despite its two-tone livery, it was not - as might be thought - a Derby Corporation vehicle - in the 1920s numerous independent operators served the town and these three may well have belonged to one or more of these.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo and numbered it 1180 in his series.