This image can be used commercially
The Spot, Derby, c 1908 ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1908 ?
About this image
Looking north-west from The Spot towards the junction of Babington Lane and St Peter's Street. The statue in the foreground is that of Queen Victoria (in bronze by C B Birch and unveiled in 1906), while a closed top Derby Corporation tram is heading away from the photographer. A group of boys, including one in an apron and another seemingly selling newspapers, have posed or been posed for the camera.
Of the shops, on the right Smart & Smart Ltd, furniture retailers, are holding a relocation sale with sideboards on offer from 37 shillings (£1,85) upwards. On the extreme left the large pair of spectacles indicate the premises of long-established opticians Lancaster & Thorpe, while the range to the right of these are occupied by E W Grimes who were drapers and remained in business here from 1897 until 1956.
Most of the buildings seen in this view were still standing in 2014 but the statue of Queen Victoria was relocated to the grounds of the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary on London Road in 1925.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard producer F W Scarratt but its number in his series is unknown.