This image can be used commercially
Wood Street, Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, c 1915
Scarratt, F W
About this image
Wood Street looking south-west at its junction (left) with Upper Church Street. Ashby town centre is in the distance with its prominent water tower just discernible on the skyline to the right of the lamp post. The buildings on the right comprise The Bull Inn, while in contrast to the hostelry's thatched antiquity, the Motor Garage opposite is perhaps a sign of things to come.
The Bull Inn was subsequently (and probably not long after) rebuilt in arts and crafts style but by 2006 had been renamed the Ashby Court Hotel & Restaurant. In May 2012 it was trading as Milons Indian Restaurant & Hotel. By this date some of the dwellings (including the thatched cottage) on the left had been demolished but the site of the Motor Garage was still occupied by a Kwik-Fit service centre.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt and was allocated the number 1028 in his series.