This image can be used commercially
Alexandra Electric Theatre, Normanton, Derby, c 1913 ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1913 ?
About this image
The Alexandra Electric Theatre started life as a roller skating rink in 1909 but the building was converted into an electric theatre four years later, opening as such on 6 October 1913 with seating for 1,200. The proprietors indicated it was 'their earnest desire to provide patrons with the very best and latest films procurable, regardless of cost, together with high class variety'. Initially at least, there seems to have been a preoccupation with films about death: the main film for the first three days was titled Delivered by Death, followed by At Handgrips with Death, while one of the posters in this view advertises Sentence of Death!
The ornate stone-faced frontage (seen here looking north-east) with its stained glass windows and electric lighting was demolished in 1939 and replaced by a new entrance on the corner of Hartington Street (out of shot to the right). This was in art deco style and featured a semi-circular canopy and a tall rectangular tower. However, post-World War Two custom declined and The Alex, as the cinema had become, screened its last film in 1953. The premises were then converted into the Trocadero Ballroom and remained as such until the night of 18 October 1982 when the building was completely destroyed by fire. Subsequently a development of flats - Trocadero Court - was constructed on the site.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo but its number in his series is unknown.