This image cannot be used commercially
Bath Street, Ilkeston, decorated for Royal Visit, 1914
25 June 1914
About this image
On 25 June 1914 King George V and Queen Mary made a royal visit to Ilkeston and this view shows the lower end of Bath Street looking south from the junction with Manners Road. Bunting has been strung across the street and flags adorn the local shops. On the left is the heavily decorated frontage of the Midland Railway's Ilkeston Town station. This was the terminus of a short branch from Ilkeston Junction on the Erewash Valley main line and lost its passenger service in 1947. Set into the road surface is the 3ft 6in gauge single track forming part of Ilkeston Corporation's electric tramway route from Cotmanhay to the Market Place (and thence Hallam Fields), which operated from 1903 until 1931. One of the cast iron standards used to support the overhead wire for the trams is prominent in front of the railway station and, unsurprisingly, has a 'trams stop here' sign affixed. Although badly faded and marked, this image is included for its historic interest.