This image cannot be used commercially
Victoria Park, Ilkeston, post-1902
About this image
A view looking north-east across Victoria Park. The large building in the centre distance is the rear of the Theatre Royal in Lord Haddon Road, while the terrace of houses to the left of this is on the south side of Manners Road. The Park came into being when the 7th Duke of Rutland presented to the town eight acres of ground to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. Its official opening took place on 20 August 1902 and was laid out with trees, shrubs and flower beds for "walking, sitting and gentle recreation". To ensure the recreation remained "gentle", the Duke imposed a condition that prohibited the playing of adult football or cricket. Although somewhat faded and marked, this image is included for its historic interest.