About this image
The interior of St John the Evangelist's Church on Nottingham Road, Ilkeston. Decorations are in place, mainly flowers, and it may be that this is in connection with one of the annual Ilkeston Flower Shows (the absence of produce suggests this is not a harvest festival). St John's is of red brick construction in the Early English style, the architect being P. H. Currey of Derby. Originally, it was built as a chapel of ease to the main parish church of St Mary's, the foundation stone being laid in 1893. Brought into use the following year, construction took place in stages and the church was not fully completed until 1911. The following year it became a parish church in its own right when a new St John's Parish was created. This photo is interesting because it depicts an intermediate period in the building's development. While this is the east end of the structure, the arrangements here are temporary as the chancel, vestry and crypt have yet to be constructed. In due course these will extend the building away from the camera and the interim blank end wall seen here will be removed (DCER001567 shows the foundations for these going in and also the aforementioned temporary east end wall). Likewise, the blocked arches on the left indicate the north aisle has yet to materialise (DCHQ503180 shows the exterior of the church with these blocked arches in evidence). All these extensions appear to have been added about 1909-10, which means this picture must be earlier.